Monday, August 19, 2013

They grew up so fast....

Did not realise how 21 years passed by . First Shreya left 3 years ago and today Sankalp left home to the United World College, Wales leaving a vaccum behind. Though I am proud that they are doing good in every possible way and this is necessary for them and their future - still it feels empty around me.








I know when Sankalp or Shreya reads this, they will say " mammaaaaaa" we are big and we can take care of ourselves - but I still could not stop worrying standing and watching anxiously if my little boy will remember to pick his watch, passport, computer from the security check trays at the airport. I sighed a relief when I watched him do so. 
  
He then just turned back and waved to us and moved.  This is his first step out the door. It seems like just yesterday we were bringing our brand - new baby home from hospital. Did not realise when he grew up and now he'll be starting a brand-new chapter in his life that has nothing to do with me. Where did the time go?



When the doctor told me during the ultrasound that it was a boy,  for a second I was sad , as I wanted a sister for Shreya - but he is a very very affectionate brother and they have a heavenly bond between them. I love the brother he is to Shreya.

 



As he started moving and pulled himself up as a baby , a cage was brought into the home and furniture was moved around. He was always so fascinated with the kitchen utensils and was busy banging them on the floor. I loved the toddler he was.
 
He is a people's person and hung out with lots of kids in kindergarten and was a favorite to his care takers. I loved the preschooler he was

As a kid he never could sit for 5 minutes steadily one place and I never had big hopes on his capability to study. He proved me wrong , did very well academically , was the school leader in high school and was liked by all. One day while at school, a teacher passing by asked us if we were parents to Sankalp and then told us that we should be proud of him - not only because he is doing well in studies but because he is such a good human being :-).
 
Yes we are proud of our little one who has become a caring, compassionate, sensible, independant big boy that loves to explore. But to tell you the truth in my heart sometimes I wish that I had one of those clingy kids who never lets you out of their sight :-).
 




I know , I know it is time to let them go and turn my energies towards myself and do the neglected hobbies, fulfill my unfinished dreams etc etc , but still why did it have to happen so fast. I never realised how the time flew by.  My friends who have kids tell me that life is going to be OK and I will cope with this. I am thinking more of Sekhar who will miss his dear son in the mornings being behind him to be on time for the school :-).




Shreya and Sankalp we miss you ...

13 comments:

  1. Beautiful post Shanthi and reminds me to slow down and enjoy time with my son.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lovely post ! My daughter turned 10 some days back and I remember going through a nostalgic trip that day. Did a post on it too but now after reading this, I feel I have a long way to go and the challenges a mother faces are many. As Nayana says, we must slow down and enjoy our kids before they grow up and start a new life of their own :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. i sat and read thru the entire post with my little one banging his toy to the floor....:) and i m so touched..its heart warming..i know one day i will be going thru the same things ...and i really hope i raise a great child like u did and adhvaith is allwhat i read thru in the post :)

    wishing Sankalp the best

    ReplyDelete
  4. My son started to walk and run on his own a few months back and often leaves me behind to explore the world on his own two feet. I am always surprised at the independent person he is becoming. Its a happy-sad emotion. I can totally guess the feeling you have. Wishing the best for you...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Even I sat and just finished the whole story with drops of tears filling my eyes..i know i am an emotional creature...i know its the same journey with all of us..here too...with gayatri and jaidev.it seems like it was yesterday we brought him home..but its two years..and now twenty years will also go down the lane so easily and quickly as my dad always says..wishing sankalp all the best!love lakshmi

    ReplyDelete
  6. Shanthi Garu,
    Very beautifully expressed the sweet/nostalgic memories that passed by.I'm sure when sankalp get to read this blog he would certainly feel missing you aloots!!and would say miss uuu mamma:):)..

    after reading this i am thinking to do onething..enjoy each and every minute with my sweet kid..bcz oneday he would certainly go far from me for his achievements and future, leaving some countless nostalgic moments to always recollect:):)

    ReplyDelete
  7. i can hear my daughter and son playing in their room right now and am really just rellishing how momentary it all is. Beautiful post.

    ReplyDelete
  8. what an amazing post Shanthi..... it just pulls at your heartstrings!!!

    My baby boy, Siddhanth, is only six months old and already I tell Aditya, my husband, how he's soon going to go off into the world and we'll be left missing him!!! ha ha I'm a bit melodramatic.... but your post made me feel how it really will be a reality soon and I should hold him close to me today :)

    Wishing Sankalp an wonderful adventurous life ahead!!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Beautiful pictures of your kids and your family. Children are meant to grow yo and chose their own path. It is always a pleasure to see them grow into independent individuals. It would always be good to have them around and when they go back to lead their lives too, we can feel proud that we have nothing to worry.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Such a beautiful post.. I have a lill boy.. just 7 months old.. i keep telling myself.. few years and he ll be on his own.. feeling a twinge in my throat reading this.. keep strong mamma..

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hello Shanthi, so happy to come across your blog and very very happy to see this post ...Shreya and Sankalp grown up and all... I remember meeting them in 2003, when we were posted at Oslo and we had come down to your place..happy memories indeed..

    ReplyDelete