Friday, August 12, 2011

Sravana Sukravaram

Happy Sravana Sukravaram ( Friday's that come in the telugu month of Sravana (usually in Aug or Sept) where goddess Lakshmi – the goddess of wealth is being worshipped) .  Surprisingly I was told that it is a govt holiday for lakshmi puja in Andhra this time. Atleast I have not heard about it before.  I did my schooling in a convent and I remember quite distinctly being called by my principal asking why I was not in the uniform that day. I told her that it is our festival and it is important for me to do the puja and wear my traditional clothes – swinging around showing off my pattu pavada ( silk long skirt) to her and apparently questioning her why we did not get a holiday on that day . I must have been in class 4 then :-). Today  I am going for a lakshmi puja and I am so much looking forward to it. Though I am not a very religious person, I still like to be a part of such things – may be because it reminds me of home and brings back all those memories of merrymaking, rituals, family get- together’s and of course  the yummy yumm  goodies and feasts that are a part of it. Happy Sravana Sukravaram to all of you.


7 comments:

  1. Shanthi, Thanks for stopping by my place...Happy Sravana Sukravaram to you. I have heard @ that for first time. thank you for sharing. I love your collection on window sill, specially the one in last pic...gorgeous:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy Sravana Sukravaram Shanti...hope you have a fabulous day:):)

    ReplyDelete
  3. happy Varalakhmi Nombu...lovey brass stuff...:-) glad to have you back blogging

    ReplyDelete
  4. Happy Sravana Sukravaram to you Shanthi... so so pretty!! all your brass stuff...

    ReplyDelete
  5. OMG! Your brass stuff is gorgeous!! How you had a good Sravana Sukavaram? I'm guess it's like Lakshmi puja elsewhere in the country?

    ReplyDelete