Monday, October 17, 2011

Celebration Time!!!!!

This week we are going to celebrate the Dhoti/ Pancha/Vesti Ceremony for my son S.  The dhoti or pancha or vesti  is the traditional men's garment in the Asian subcontinent. It is a rectangular piece of unstitched cloth, usually around 4.5 metres long, wrapped around the waist and the legs and knotted at the waist. In Andhra we give this to the boy, the first time in a festive ceremony. It is a social function and has no religious significance as far as I know. Here is the invite we sent out and isn't it amazing to make our own invite, with our own pics and and then being able to share it with you all. Thanks to the modern technology :-) and thanks to Chandra - my tech genius . Click on the play button below.
 

some text source from wikipedia, all pics by me - do not use them.

12 comments:

  1. That's a pretty neat invite!
    Best wishes to your son!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful invite Shanthi...and what a good looking son. He must get his looks from his mother, who I have not seen yet!!!:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Super! Have never heard of this function but what a lovely excuse to party! Looking forward to pictures and more stories.
    My3

    ReplyDelete
  4. How fun! Congrats to your son! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hope your son enjoys the celebrations. Your invitation is lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Congratulations to your son. It is not poonal I think.
    And I also want to repeat the same comment of Kala.

    ReplyDelete
  7. No Rama , it is not Poonal. It is just a social function.

    ReplyDelete