I am not a big fan of Apples. But I have a friend who is in Norway for a short stay and the only thing she asks me is for APPLES - straight from the tree. I have few apple trees in the garden but I never really go pick them :-). So this week for G I went on this small picnic into my garden ...
Some of them were baked by Ingela into an apple cake and the hot cake tasted YUMM!!! with the vanilla icecream.
Some of them were pressed into this pure clear sugar free apple juice at a nearby apple factory - given by G
Why are apples good BTW
- Pectin -- Pectin is a form of soluble fiber than lowers both blood pressure and glucose levels. It can also lower the levels of LDL, or "bad" cholesterol in the body. Pectin, like other forms of fiber, helps maintain the health of the digestive system. Apples are an excellent source of pectin.
- Boron -- A nutrient found in abundance in apples, boron supports strong bones and a healthy brain.
- Quercetin -- A flavonoid, this nutrient shows promise for reducing the risk of various cancers, including cancers in the lungs and breast. It may also reduce free radical damage. Free radicals develop when atoms in the body's cells have unpaired electrons, which can lead to damage to different parts of the cell, including DNA. Quercetin may neutralize free radical damage, which has been implicated in a variety of age-related health problems, including Alzheimer's disease.
- Vitamin C -- Vitamin C boosts immunity, which helps maintain overall health.
- Phytonutrients -- Apples are rich in a variety of phytonutrients, including vitamins A and E and beta carotene. These compounds fight damage from free radicals and can have a profound affect on health, including reducing the risk of heart disease, diabetes and asthma.
All pictures by me and Text about health benefits of apples from here